Sunday, July 6, 2014

#makeaquiltmakeafriend


Today I'm sharing one of the positive aspects of my IG addiction - my mini-quilt for the swap I participated in!  Kristi over at Schnitzel and Boo  is the lead organizer and I was able to jump in on the second round sign ups when one of my bee mates posted she had joined!!    I diligently filled out the form and crossed my fingers - luckily, I received  Katie over at Choo Choo Skadoo Quilts!  (seriously, someone must have known how much I like funny sounding names - it only drove my husband slightly crazy when I would use both in a sentence)  She enjoys Bonnie and Camille just as much as I do, so it was easy for me to pull from my stash and hit the LQS.  I was really tempted to make her one of Thimbleblossom's mini quilts, but i felt like she might already have some since she is a sewing machine

Adorn - from "Simply Retro" by Camille Roskelley
Although this quilt is on 24 by 24, it still challenged me in a BIG way!!  This was my first attempt at cutting triangles (note to self - invest in the ruler) sewing triangles (LOVE) and attaching binding by . . . hand!  Thanks sewing buddy for showing me that trick.  
I spent the most time quilting - my favorite part!

Shot of the back - still don't understand the whole "bury the threads" so I just used the knot tying feature on my machine - try not to cringe!

I posted a few photos to IG in hopes of her liking one, but alas . . .  she was pretty quiet!  Of course I'm super nervous that she won't like what I made (or what I sent - lots of extra goodies to make up for the wonky label) but more than her pleasure its nice to know that someone appreciates a handmade item!  
A quick inspection before it headed to the post office Wednesday.


If you're on instagram and not participating in this swap (there are over 600 quilters of awesomeness) you can use these hashtags to follow some amazing and inspiring work: #schnitzelandboominiquiltswap or #makeaquiltmakeafriend

I may have to make one for me!

Happy Sewing!
Em







No comments:

Post a Comment