Sunday, November 9, 2014

Amateur Hour Vol. 2

I'm so excited to write this post because I finished a huge project . . . and I finished it on time!!  Now, I should preface this by saying that I actually had 14 months to finish this quilt, but it took a looong time for inspiration to hit and the help of some good people for the project to be completed.



Yes, that's right, that is a giant queen plus sized Triple Irish Chain - oh yea!!!!!   That bad boy took me about four months from fabric completion to final thread clippings!  It took me forever to decide on a quilt pattern - I wavered between double wedding ring, jacob's ladder, and various star designs.  However, as the bride is Irish and had quite a few Irish traditions woven into the wedding ceremony, I thought it would be fitting.

I ran out of fabric twice - even though my friend Adelle helped me plan out the quilt on EQ7, my not-so-smart self wasn't able to purchase enough fabric.  Luckily, the design lent itself to a variety of teals and blues. 






The longarmer I had originally intended to quilt this for me was unable to meet my deadline, so i ended up doing the whole thing on my back up machine, a Bernina 380.  Yes, the Bernina 380 does only have 8 inches of throat space.  That's all I can really say here on a public domain.  As you can see, the quilting didn't go as well as expected, but I'll have a forever memory of this quilt and be reminded of my hard work every time I look at my left index finger.  (Fitting, right?)

 


Anyways, I learned a TON while working on this quilt and I think it won't be long before I move up from amateur to beginner quilter . . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Just stopped by to check you out because we're both in Hive 5 (ooo it rhymes!!!). This quilt is beautiful, and a huge project. What a lucky couple to get such a gift! I'm totally wowed by your quilting skills---I love piecing but really don't enjoy quilting, so I do a lot of minimalist stitching in the ditch. I look forward to making with you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've skipped over the 'beginner' status and moved right on to 'experienced'! The quilt is beautiful - those colors are amazing! What a great job.

    ReplyDelete